Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Visible Story


Nailer's Story In Pictures




Living on a run down beach, In a one room shack that could fall over at any time.



Always wondering if he would be able to sleep that night. Every night, wondering if he would be beaten. Every night, wondering if he would have to face a drunk, angry father.




He dreamed of sailing out of his miserable life on a pearly white clipper-ship.
He kept pictures of them, so that he could go there in his mind.
He hoped one day he would see the white sails from below as he skimmed along the water.


 

He woke up every morning, before sunrise, to work the ship yards, on a light crew.
He spent hours and hours a day in the dark maze of rusty ventilation of massive oil tankers from the past.
He spent his day hauling up scraps that could be salvaged and sold.


 

All of his time and energy was put into hauling coil up from these dark corridors. 
In constant hope to hit a lucky strike such as a pocket of oil that had been undiscovered that could get him out of the ship yards, and on to a life of luxury.



A city destroying storm blew in and demolished everything that he had, and almost killed his father, and some of his closest friends. But out of the turmoil and fear, he and his crew mate discovered something that could change their life forever.



A wrecked ship lay on the torn up beach. This ship was no ordinary tanker. It was a white clipper ship, nicer than those in Nailer's pictures. 




Inside they found luxury's greater than they could have even imagined. They found great amounts of food. They found silver. they found... a survivor.
A survivor could ruin everything. They had to kill her.



But they held back when she offered them riches...




and a life greater than anything they had ever heard of, in exchange for them to return her to her RICH father.





Over the next couple weeks, they went from eating scraps, and plain foods to...





Feasting every night. But could they trust the girl? How could they know whether or not she could deliver the promise she made to them?




Nailer made the decision to trust her, and soon they were on the run, trying to make it to her father before they were caught by her father's rivals, who wanted to use her as leverage against her father.




They hopped a train and made their way to freedom, only to find that more danger and trouble awaited them.




Ship Breaker, by Paolo Bacigalupi



6 comments:

  1. Nice work Josh- this read sounds very intriguing. To go from having almost nice food to eating steak dinners every night is some sort of transition, eh? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm Michael from Fremd. This is really cool and really well done. Good job! I heard about this book earlier today and it sounds really interesting. I might end up reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book, and it was interesting to see yet another post-apocalyptic world with an oppressive higher class. For me, the book was more about the struggles of his previous life rather than the ephemeral transition period he had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm Ali from Fremd. This book sound really cool. I loved how you told the story with the pictures. That really made it easier to follow along. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I'm Connor. I really love these picture blogs! I wish I was able to do one this year. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the use of all these pictures in the review. it helped me visualize what was going on and really added a lot to your blog. Kepp up the good work!

    ReplyDelete